Building Trust, Connections and Relationships
PANO’s public policy and advocacy efforts focus on issues that broadly impact Pennsylvania’s nonprofit sector. We monitor changes in Federal and State legislation and regulations and seek to collaborate and leverage the work of organizations around the state. With over 800 members statewide, PANO champions our sector and the vital work nonprofits do every day to improve our communities.
Our Goals Are To:
• Elevate the collective voice of the Pennsylvania nonprofit sector to advance policy solutions in support of strong, healthy nonprofits
• Encourage and support Pennsylvania nonprofit engagement in the public policy process to advocate on behalf of their organizations and communities
• Increase the respect and support for the nonprofit community among elected officials, leaders and the general public
PANO Typically Engages Issues Of:
• Tax exempt status
• Charitable giving legislation
• Unfair competition
• How charities are governed
Case by case on other bills that might have a material effect on charities in a global way
PANO will consider issues on nonprofit governance (transparency & accountability), advocacy (and lobbying), charitable tax exemptions (property tax, sales tax, income tax), volunteerism, and fundraising (and funding).
PANO offers public policy trainings and webinars on advocacy, lobbying, lobbying disclosure, and pending legislation, as well as legislative briefings and town hall meetings. Specialized training is available upon request.
PANO shares advocacy and public policy information and “Action Alerts” when immediate action is needed. By sharing new laws, regulations, initiatives, and research with nonprofit organizations, PANO connects nonprofits to government, to the general public and to the entire community benefit sector.
Nonprofit Sector Profiles
State and National Resources for Nonprofit Impact Data and Other State Profiles