Since 2012, Lawyers for Nonprofits, a project of Side Project Inc., a 501(c)(3) public charity, has provided legal services and training to hundreds of small and start-up nonprofit organizations across the country. Lawyers for Nonprofits was co-founded by Jeffrey Fromknecht. He holds graduate degrees in both social work and law and has more than 20 years of experience working at nonprofit organizations in a variety of direct-service and management roles. Jeff is licensed to practice law in both Pennsylvania and Florida.
Practice Areas include:
1. GENERAL COUNSEL – Managing Attorney, Jeff Fromknecht, is available to provide outside counsel to your nonprofit on an as-needed basis. He serves as your organization’s legal department and is available on-demand for legal, compliance and operational questions from executive staff and members of the Board of Directors.
2. NONPROFIT START-UP – Creating a nonprofit corporation requires more than just filing paperwork with the state. In addition to the many legal and regulatory challenges, nonprofit founders are also developing programs and creating fundraising strategies. Organizations that are advancing social change and social justice are eligible for our low bono Nonprofit Start-Up package, which includes guidance through the nonprofit incorporation and tax exemption process.
3. TAX LAW – We work with a variety of tax-exempt entities, including 501(c)(3) public charities and private foundations, 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations, and other 501(c)s, such as social clubs and athletic clubs. Our counsel includes advising nonprofits on tax matters related to social enterprises, unrelated business income, joint ventures with for-profits, legislative and grassroots advocacy, reinstatement of tax-exempt status exempt status, and mitigation of fines and penalties.
4. FUNDRAISING LAW – Fundraising activities of nonprofit organizations are regulated by state law. Many states have charitable solicitation laws that require nonprofits to register with the state before the nonprofit or professional solicits any donations. We provide a comprehensive charitable solicitation registration solution for small to medium-size nonprofit organizations that fundraise in more than one state.
5. CORPORATE GOVERNANCE – Most state’s nonprofit corporation law requires nonprofit organization’s to adhere to a variety of corporate formalities, including having a Board of Directors, having regular Board meetings, keeping minutes of meetings, and adopting bylaws and other policies and procedures that guide the organizations work. We help organizations stay compliant. This includes reviewing corporate procedures, updating bylaws, conflict of interest policies and other corporate policies.